Shabby Theme

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

{Baby Moses Arrives} Part 1



So excited to finally have the time, energy and strength to put together a blog post sharing the amazing arrival of baby Moses. It's been EIGHT weeks since our little miracle was born and it's been an eventful eight weeks at that!! Enjoy :)

It all started at 12:04am on Monday October 14th, 2013. I woke out of a dead sleep with a contraction that was definitely different then ALL the others I had experienced in the days/weeks before. I laid in bed for about 15 more minutes with a couple more of the same type of contractions. I couldn’t stay in bed anymore than that, they were consistent so I decided to start timing them. After about an hour I woke my hubby up and told him I thought this “WAS IT”.

About an hour after that we went and woke my mom {who flew in a week prior to be here for baby Moses’ arrival}, letting her know it was time. I wanted to wait at home for a while before heading into the hospital so we waited, but my contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and living almost an hour from the hospital, we decided to head in.

We checked in around 4:30ish, they checked me and I was only dilated to 2 {which is what I had been for about 3 weeks}, I was a little discouraged because I had been having such regular contractions for 4 hours now and had no progress… But hey, this is my first time, what do I know?

My labor support was my amazing hubby, my mom and my doula, Lora. They were the BEST team I could have ever asked for, so supportive, comforting, sensitive, and helpful.

My labor was intense {everyone’s is, right?} LOL. My contractions were non-stop, I had barely any time in-between to rest. I just focused on breathing throughout the whole thing.  Basically I labored in any position I could handle {mainly sitting, standing was TOTALLY uncomfortable!} Moving from the bed to the bathroom and back again.

I labored and labored and labored.. The morning turned into the afternoon, which turned into the evening. No real amazing progression. After 18 hours of labor we decided to do an epidural. I was stuck at 7cm and the doc said they needed to up the Pitocin and if I don’t progress, my labor will most likely end in a C-section, which I DID NOT WANT!

So epidural was given and immediately everything went numb, it was bliss, yes BLISS. Oh my goodness. Finally, there was no pain, I laid in bed crying happy tears of relief. It was awesome!!! Dave, my mom and Lora took a little snooze while my Pitocin pumped away into my veins getting the contractions to really get me going. Around 9:30pm They inserted an IUPC {Intra Uterine Pressure Catheter} to measure contractions better so they could really see the progress.

A couple hours later I finally felt the pressure to push and I was at 9cm.  About thirty minutes after the pressure set in it was time to push! I pushed for 55 minutes and BAM – Moses was born. At 8 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long, he was the most beautiful baby we had ever seen.


Unfortunately, little did we know our little boy would have breathing difficulty. His lungs didn’t expand fully with his first breath and there was meconium aspiration. He was flown to Oahu and had a 5 day stay in the NICU. But, that’s another post! ;)


XO,

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment